About Me

My photo
I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and come from a family of yarn and fabric artisans. I learned to sew from my Grandmother who made several quilts a year entirely by hand...one for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild. Life situations and changes caused me to take a chance and open my first Etsy shop in Feb. 2011. A few successful months later, I opened my second Etsy shop as BeccaTheBaker...and later in 2011 opened my third Etsy shop as BeyondCrochetToo. I'm a single mother of 2 teenagers (a girl and a boy), plus 2 cats. I'm a 5th generation Native Californian (Northern California. And am happy to be back on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest where I belong.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I Can't Pronounce It, but I LOVE to Make it!!

Amigurumi. - Yes, back to that again. I became so interested in this technique that I went out and searched all that I could find about it. And as is usually the case among us crafters, I became obsessed with it.
I'm having so much fun making these little creatures - especially animals. I love giving them their own character and personalities. I feel like I'm helping each one be "born". - Crazy, I know...but, that's the way I feel.
I don't like making what is expected or "normal".....so in true form, I've been playing with colors and patterns. Why make a boring gray elephant when it can be colorful and vibrant?! Why make a basic turtle with a plain shell, when you can make that shell mosaic? - I LOVE this type of freedom in what I create!!

I've been able to play around with colors and patterns when I make afghans and throws, but they don't have personalities - amigurumi do. Maybe that's the attraction to these cute lil guys. I don't really know. I just know that I too have become the latest to fall for this trend. :)

And yes....they will be appearing soon in my shop. Hopefully others will enjoy my spin out of the ordinary as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment