About Me

My photo
I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and come from a family of yarn and fabric artisans. I learned to sew from my Grandmother who made several quilts a year entirely by hand...one for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild. Life situations and changes caused me to take a chance and open my first Etsy shop in Feb. 2011. A few successful months later, I opened my second Etsy shop as BeccaTheBaker...and later in 2011 opened my third Etsy shop as BeyondCrochetToo. I'm a single mother of 2 teenagers (a girl and a boy), plus 2 cats. I'm a 5th generation Native Californian (Northern California. And am happy to be back on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest where I belong.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Overdoing It

I just finished reading Sean Low's blog Stillness http://www.thebusinessofbeingcreative.com/2011/04/01/stillness-2/, and I have to say it came at exactly the right moment for me. I've been so busy creating and acting on my creative spurts that I got to the point where I am physically sore and needed to take the past couple of days "off" just to rest and recuperate. Even though it's been rather nice to just relax and take a break the past 2 days, I felt guilty about it. My mind kept going back to all the unfinished projects I could be completing, patterns I could be researching, posts I could be creating, blogs I could be reading - anything that would help my shop get noticed and grow...anything other than sitting on my butt doing nothing.

As a new seller, I want so desperately to be noticed and make that first "official" sale, that I threw myself completely into making my crafts. My shoulder is killing me, and my arm has the beginnings of tendonitis from all the repetitive crocheting I've been doing. I didn't even think once about the fact that this 43 year old body just can't keep up the pace it did 20, or even 10 years ago. I guess we've all done something similar in our drive for success. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's let that drive get the best of them....thankfully, I stopped myself before the pinched nerves in my neck and arm got too bad. Oops! But, I've still set myself back longer than if I had just taken those few moments of stillness that Sean mentioned.

Although it came after the act of overdoing it, Sean's blog at least made me feel better about taking the time to rest and relax. I don't feel guilty now for actually taking care of myself. And it gave me the acknowledgement I needed to slow down my pace, clear my head once in awhile, and just....breathe.


As Sean said: "There will always be time enough to make happen all of the things stillness creates."

No comments:

Post a Comment