About Me

My photo
I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and come from a family of yarn and fabric artisans. I learned to sew from my Grandmother who made several quilts a year entirely by hand...one for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild. Life situations and changes caused me to take a chance and open my first Etsy shop in Feb. 2011. A few successful months later, I opened my second Etsy shop as BeccaTheBaker...and later in 2011 opened my third Etsy shop as BeyondCrochetToo. I'm a single mother of 2 teenagers (a girl and a boy), plus 2 cats. I'm a 5th generation Native Californian (Northern California. And am happy to be back on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest where I belong.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Jumping In Feet First

http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4dd5078182ca8eef3bc44228/open-soapsuds-bns-round-7-sales-80-today?ref=pr_treasury&page=8#comments

Joined my first BNR yesterday, and am currently waiting for the next round to begin where my shop will be featured. All of this is completely brand new to me, but the Hostess - SoapSudsBabyDuds http://www.etsy.com/shop/SoapSudsBabyDuds is great and I've met other Etsy sellers there that have extended a helping hand as well.

For those who don't know what a BNR is (I didn't until about a month ago): BNR stands for Buy And Replace. When a seller buys an item from another seller, the item bought is then replaced in the next round by an item from the purchaser. For example, I will be in the next round of the BNR above because I purchased a very cute pair of earrings from another featured seller. :)

I'm so nervous. After making my first sale yesterday (HOORAY!!) I want to make sure the door doesn't shut again and it's not another several months before that next sale comes....and the next one and the next. Hence, the BNR. Whomever came up with this idea is genius. What a wonderful way to not only promote yourself and other sellers, but it's a fun way to meet new people that are just trying to get a little recognition (and sales) the same as you. That's one of the main reasons why I love being a seller on Etsy - the community of it. I posted yesterday in a discussion thread that I made my first sale and 26 people I never met before stopped by to congratulate me and give me support. How cool is that??! :D

Well....back to checking on the BNR. I'll let you all know how it goes. - Fingers crossed!!

4 comments:

  1. http://www.etsy.com/treasury/4dd7ae0e6a356d913a949136/open-soapsuds-bns-round-8-sales-90-today?page=9#comments

    My round in the BNR has started. :)
    But I'm nervous that my item won't sale or even get that many views since it was one of the very first things I put up...I should have been more descriptive AND the photos could be a LOT better. But we'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just updated the photos, they look so much better now. Hopefully that will help get more views and the ultimate goal: a SALE!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not tried a BNR yet...a little intimidated by it! :)

    Great meeting you through the Etsy Blog Team!

    I am your newest blog follower. :)
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

    I welcome you to check out my art blog, too!
    Best,
    Mary C. Nasser
    http://www.marycnasser.com/blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mary. :)

    I think it might be awhile before I try another BNR. I got a lot of shop views and several people favorited my shop and several of my items (mostly turtles). But I didn't make a single sale from it.

    I've been trying to add more "everyday" items like the dishcloth sets, and potholders. Also this gives a nice price range for my customers. But, for what ever reason.....it wasn't enough to get anyone to make a purchase.

    Not to be a downer, but I wish I hadn't jumped into one so soon. - I went from being ecstatic over having my first sale....to being crushed that I couldn't make another. :(

    I can't help but wonder if it's because most of what I have would be considered "gift items"? I just don't know. :'(

    **NOT giving up. - Just nursing a bruised ego, and having a hard time seeing a silver lining.

    - Becca

    ReplyDelete