About Me

My photo
I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and come from a family of yarn and fabric artisans. I learned to sew from my Grandmother who made several quilts a year entirely by hand...one for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild. Life situations and changes caused me to take a chance and open my first Etsy shop in Feb. 2011. A few successful months later, I opened my second Etsy shop as BeccaTheBaker...and later in 2011 opened my third Etsy shop as BeyondCrochetToo. I'm a single mother of 2 teenagers (a girl and a boy), plus 2 cats. I'm a 5th generation Native Californian (Northern California. And am happy to be back on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest where I belong.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Sharing a Little About Me

I've been reading a lot of other blogs lately, and I really like reading about what inspired someone to make a particular item and/or what they listened to while they made it. It's a great way to open up and show a little more of who you are without sharing your life story... And I thought: maybe I should be doing that.

I have a hard time revealing myself entirely to total strangers - go figure. But, I know that to be successful I need to start letting more of the real me out. So writing about what inspired me, or what I listen to, etc is a great way to start doing it. The thing is: I don't paint, I don't draw. I don't find inspiration in the music I'm listening to in order to create a beautiful work of art....I crochet.

Now, true...there are times that I've created something based on a story or movie. For example, my Chesire-inspired amigurumi. But, it's still not quite the same, is it?

So, I've decided maybe the best thing to do is to share with you a little of what I do while crocheting. There are times that what I'm making takes a lot of concentration, particularly counting. But, for the most part, crocheting is a relaxing activity that I can do while watching t.v., listening to music, or while watching my kids play video games.

I'm a newly divorced (Woo Hoo!) mom of a teenage girl about to graduate High school, and a teenage boy ready to start High school. I take care of and live with my elderly parents who are in there mid and upper 80s. We are all in the process of trying to get our house up for sale in order to move across the country from Central Florida to Central Oregon. My "free-time" is spent concentrating on my Etsy shop - creating items to sell, getting noticed, reading up on ideas and inspiration, so on and so forth. So, I incorporate entertainment where I can. ;)

I LOVE movies of all genres, and t.v. sitcoms are a guilty pleasure. When I have a fair amount of alone time (which isn't often), I'll pull up Netflix online and watch a movie while I crochet larger projects like afghans. Or, I'll watch shows I missed (Dad takes over the t.v. so I have to watch online) like "Glee" and "The Office" while making dishcloths, doilies and other small items. When the kids are home and take over the computer, I'll either listen to music while I crochet or watch DVDs. I said that I LOVE movies, but the reality is: I'm a movie junkie!!

When I start to feel overwhelmed...which happens a bit less and less....or when my hands, arms, and shoulder just won't take anymore crocheting, I'll sit and read. I love a good book about as much as I love movies! I read like I crochet - never just one thing at a time. Currently, I'm reading: Under The Dome by Stephen King; Club Dead by Charlaine Harris; AND  Dexter By Design by Jeff Lindsay. - I enjoy a bit of darkness.

So there you go! Nothing glamorous or exciting...but, it's me right now, as much as it can be. For reasons I'm not quite ready to share, I am in a temporary state of stillness....in my cocoon, so to speak. Once I get back to the West Coast of the U.S. where I'm supposed to be, I'll be able and ready to emerge and truly spread my wings for the first time in years! Till then, I plan, prepare, and do what needs to be done. ; )




http://www.amazon.com/Under-Dome-Novel-Stephen-King/dp/1439149038/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305392521&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Club-Dead-TV-Tie--Stackhouse/dp/0441019110/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305392432&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Design-Novel-Vintage-Lizard/dp/0307276740/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305392592&sr=1-1

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I love your crochet and I love to crochet, but I'm not creative like you are.

    I found you through a thread on Etsy. Following on GFC. Please follow me on Twitter @oldblockhouse and I will return the favor as soon as they fix my follow button!

    ReplyDelete