About Me

My photo
I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and come from a family of yarn and fabric artisans. I learned to sew from my Grandmother who made several quilts a year entirely by hand...one for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild. Life situations and changes caused me to take a chance and open my first Etsy shop in Feb. 2011. A few successful months later, I opened my second Etsy shop as BeccaTheBaker...and later in 2011 opened my third Etsy shop as BeyondCrochetToo. I'm a single mother of 2 teenagers (a girl and a boy), plus 2 cats. I'm a 5th generation Native Californian (Northern California. And am happy to be back on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest where I belong.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Movies to Crochet By

I love movies. All kinds of movies. Every genre, every era. I always have. And let's not forget television - for me a lot of cable t.v. shows are like one big movie, just broken down into episodes. :)

Most of the time I'm crocheting I'm either watching a DVD or online watching something on Netflix. And since I've been doing a LOT more crocheting lately, I've been watching a LOT more movies. So, I thought it would be fun to share the most recent list with you of movies (and t.v. shows) that are not only great to watch, but easy to watch while crocheting. lol

Killers

2010 PG-13 100 minutes
When an elite assassin (Ashton Kutcher) marries a beautiful computer whiz (Katherine Heigl) after a whirlwind romance, he gives up the gun and settles down with his new bride. That is, until he learns that someone from his past has put a contract out on his life. Now, the couple must go on the run if they hope to survive and settle the score once and for all. This action comedy from director Robert Luketic co-stars Tom Selleck and Catherine O'Hara.

The trailer for this looked interesting, so I watched it. And was pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

Nurse Jackie

2009-2010 NR Seasons 1-2
Edie Falco (in an Emmy-nominated role) anchors this acclaimed half-hour Showtime drama as Jackie Peyton, a far-from-perfect but dedicated ER nurse who works in a hectic New York City hospital and relies on pain meds to get her through exhausting days. Along with the conflicts, tensions and hilarity she experiences with her patients and colleagues, Jackie faces unique challenges and choices in dealing with her family, friends and pharmacist lover.

Okay, now you do have to pay a bit more attention to this one. But if you're working an easy pattern (say continuous rounds of Amigurumi. lol), then it's not so hard to watch. :)



Enchanted April

1992 PG 92 minutes
Stifled British wives Lottie (Josie Lawrence) and Rose (Miranda Richardson) rent an Italian villa for a husbandless vacation. Sharing the retreat are acerbic widow Mrs. Fisher (Oscar nominee Joan Plowright) and socialite Caroline (Polly Walker). The four spend a month savoring newfound freedom and the opportunity for self-discovery. Alfred Molina co-stars in this tale of 1920s English manners, based on Elizabeth von Arnim's novel.

Thought this one might end up being a "sleeper", but it's not at all. Beautiful movie...but definitely a "chick-flick". 




 

White Oleander

2002 PG-13 109 minutes
When volatile artist Ingrid Magnussen (Michelle Pfeiffer) poisons her boyfriend in a fit of jealousy and is sentenced to life in prison, her daughter, Astrid (Alison Lohman), is sent to live in a series of foster homes with three very different women. As Astrid moves from one dysfunctional arrangement to the next, her mother's manipulations are never far behind. Robin Wright Penn, Renée Zellweger and Patrick Fugit co-star.

A very serious movie, but worth the watch.

Trapped in Paradise

1994 PG-13 111 minutes
Crooked brothers David (Jon Lovitz) and Alvin (Dana Carvey) are sprung from jail and hook up with their third partner in crime, brother Bill (Nicolas Cage). Three-time losers, the larcenous siblings know that crime doesn't pay, but that doesn't stop them from knocking over a bank in the small burg of Paradise. What they didn't reckon was that fleeing Paradise would be much harder than stealing the loot! 

Nicolas Cage in one of his earlier, and funnier roles. (LOVE Nic Cage!). Don't know why I never got around to watching this one till now, but I'm glad I did. 




The Beach

2000 R 119 minutes
While staying at a Bangkok hotel, Richard (Leonardo DiCaprio) learns of a secret beach that purportedly exemplifies paradise and travels with Françoise (Virginie Ledoyen) and Étienne (Guillaume Canet) to the magnificent strand, finding a bohemian community intent on keeping its precious refuge a secret. But after falling in love with the beach and Françoise, Richard learns things aren't as idyllic as they seem.

A mind-bending thriller. Great movie if you don't mind a few disturbing (bloody) images.

Dexter

2006-2009 TV-MA Seasons 1-4
Mild-mannered Dexter Morgan (Golden Globe winner Michael C. Hall) works for the Miami Metro Police Department as a blood-splatter analyst -- and moonlights as a murderer who only targets other killers, a moral code instilled in him by his adoptive father, Harry (James Remar). As Dexter channels his sociopathic urges into acts of vigilantism, his co-workers, friends and family remain blissfully unaware of his bloodthirsty alter ego.

Speaking of disturbingly bloody images!! I don't just love Dexter.....I ADORE him!!! If you look over at my reading recommendations/favorites you'll find him over there too. - And if you watch the series, but haven't read the books, you are REALLY missing out. ;)
Well, there you go for now. As you can see, my tastes are very eclectic, but that's what keeps me balanced. :D





No comments:

Post a Comment