About Me

My photo
I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and come from a family of yarn and fabric artisans. I learned to sew from my Grandmother who made several quilts a year entirely by hand...one for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild. Life situations and changes caused me to take a chance and open my first Etsy shop in Feb. 2011. A few successful months later, I opened my second Etsy shop as BeccaTheBaker...and later in 2011 opened my third Etsy shop as BeyondCrochetToo. I'm a single mother of 2 teenagers (a girl and a boy), plus 2 cats. I'm a 5th generation Native Californian (Northern California. And am happy to be back on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest where I belong.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Free Recipe: Oregon Apple Pie

Oregon, like Washington State, grows a LOT of apples, pears, berries, and filberts (aka hazelnuts)...among many other great farm items.

 I can't wait to be able to go directly to the source for fresh produce to make mouth-watering recipes like this one!!

I would consider this more of an apple crisp than a pie, but it's still really good either way. :)
*I've wondered how it would be to actually bake it in a pie shell, cutting back the topping mixture by about half - but, I have not tried it this way yet, so cannot recommend it. - Please let me know if any of you try it baked in a shell as an actual pie....or if you prefer it using one type of apple to another. :)


For 1 pie, 6 servings, you will need:
4 large or 6 small baking apples, peeled, sliced (see: "12 Great Apples for Baking")

2 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon

Topping:
 6 oz butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
Powdered sugar, sifted
Pecans for garnish, optional

Arrange apple slices in an even layer in a lightly greased pie plate. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.

For topping: Combine cooled melted butter, brown sugar, chopped nuts and flour in a bowl. Add eggs to mixture, mixing to blend well. Spread topping evenly over apples.

Bake pie at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 minutes or until apples are soft and topping is lightly brown.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar and chopped pecans, if desired.


Tips: You can leave the peels on the apples if they are thin enough, such as with Golden Delicious apples. Also try substituting walnuts or hazelnuts for the pecans.
.......And don't forget to top it off with some Cinnamon, or French Vanilla Ice Cream - YUM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment