About Me

My photo
I've been crocheting for over 30 years, and come from a family of yarn and fabric artisans. I learned to sew from my Grandmother who made several quilts a year entirely by hand...one for each child, grandchild, and great-grandchild. Life situations and changes caused me to take a chance and open my first Etsy shop in Feb. 2011. A few successful months later, I opened my second Etsy shop as BeccaTheBaker...and later in 2011 opened my third Etsy shop as BeyondCrochetToo. I'm a single mother of 2 teenagers (a girl and a boy), plus 2 cats. I'm a 5th generation Native Californian (Northern California. And am happy to be back on the West Coast in the Pacific Northwest where I belong.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Catching Up

Wow! Over a month since I last posted anything here. It was never my intention to be away so long, even with the move and everything it was always in the back of my mind to write a post catching up on all that's been going on the past month or more, and what I have planned in the near future. So I figure now is the time to stop procrastinating and get it done. :)

To start, I finally moved from Florida to Oregon like I've been saying I was going to do for nearly a year. lol. Although we arrived in Corvallis VERY early in the morning (4 AM) on December 18th, it wasn't until January 20th that we were able to move into our new apartment. 32 days straight in a motel (not counting the 8 days we were on the road staying in a new motel each night) is NOT something I recommend. All though we tried to get out and explore the town as often as we could, we were still pretty "housebound" by bad weather and a severe case of the flu for myself and my daughter. Thank goodness I had my giant bag of yarn to keep me occupied.

The overly crammed car with my son, Chester the Amigurumi Tiger, and the Giant Ziploc bag of yarn in the window. 

Finally January 20th arrived and we moved into our wonderful, comforting new home.....and it was truly worth the wait. We love it here! It feels like it's always been home, just waiting for us to find it. :)
Since we moved here along with my parents (they of course have their own apartment), we had to combine all of our belongings from both households into one moving container and a lot got left behind for the family that bought my parents house (who had lost all of their own belongings in a fire), or donated to charity, or given away to now former neighbors. So right now I have very little furniture, other than our beds, a couple of bookcases, the card table my laptop is on, and the rocking chair I got when my son was born (currently the only chair in the apartment - lol). But, the kids and I are having fun looking at new furniture and decorating ideas to make the most of our smaller space. All in all, we're just happy to finally be here....we've waited longer than any of you can imagine to have this kind of life and freedom from the negative situations we left behind. :)

One of the things I am missing right now, that I had to leave behind due to lack of room, was my mannequin head that I used for my BeyondCrochetToo shop. Although she was a little scary looking, she was very helpful in getting my new items listed. I was hoping that I would be able to buy a new, more professional looking mannequin as well as a nice dress form, but that needs to wait a little longer (hurray for tax returns! lol).  Once it arrives I'll be listing all the new items I made while in the motel, and the few I've finished working on the past few days here at home....about 20 items in all! - Several hats in various styles, ear-warmer headbands that I designed, several beautiful, soft, and cozy scarves, and a thick, warm, and luxuriously soft cowl.

In the meantime, I've been trying to work on some items that can be listed without the use of a mannequin, such as the new Starfish Washcloths I recently started listing, and amigurumi for my BeyondCrochet shop.  I have so many ideas I want to work on, but so little working room right now to do them.

One of the Starfish Washcloths newly listed at BeyondCrochetToo

Since we were moving during Christmas and New Year's, I feel a little lost creatively. I had so many projects I wanted to work on for that Season of the year, that it's kind of thrown me that Valentine's Day is here already....and then St. Patrick's. I'm starting to think I should just skip past the pinks and reds and head straight for green. LOL. It's all been such a whirlwind, but I know it will soon start to go back to a comfortable pace again. And although business-wise it's always a good idea to follow the Holidays and Seasons, I personally don't like feeling "trapped" creatively by the use of certain colors, etc....especially when I went so long without really having the freedom to make what ever hit my fancy. So, I guess I need to find that balance again of going with the flow while still letting my love of all the different Holidays and Seasons shine through. :)

I'll try to pop in here a LOT more often. It's been awhile since I did a weekly wishlist, and I've decided to no longer do one here. Thanks to the wonderful addiction of Pinterest, I'm posting all my wishlist items there.

Thanks for still being here. And I hope to see you all again real soon. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment